Monday, March 16, 2009

What does it mean to be humble? It means accepting the bad mundane things that happen to me as if I deserve them, which I do. It means laying down any sense that anyone owes me anything, least of all God.

The feeling of entitlement kills Christian community. All the time, people are feeling sorry for themselves, feeling left out, demanding their rights before they're willing to give. And all the while, Jesus is on his knees washing the filthy feet of people who aren't worthy to buckle his sandals.

The person who made me think about these things is a 20-year-old who may soon be homeless, who suffers from depression, who has had to be his mother's parent and his brother's parent since he was a kid, and who, despite all these things, can say things like:

So you're forgiven for anything and everything you've done to me, forgiven for today, and forgiven in advance for this week. I will not love you any less this week because you won't be able to be cheerful and we won't be able to spend time together. At the end of the week, by the grace of God, I will be just as faithful and committed to you as I am today. During the week, take strength in the mental battles you will face: the endurance will be worth it, and heaven will come down and help you:
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.
Fight sin--when you fail, confess and don't despair.

No comments: